Thursday, June 16, 2005

Stereotypes

It was pointed out to me by a good friend that I tend to do some serious stereotyping on this site. I think it was a pretty valid assessment and I have been thinking about it for a few days. First, let me say that I truly dislike stereotyping. I do my best not to pigeonhole people but to let them unfold as they are. I also do my best to avoid people's tendency to make assumptions about people based on their dress by blending it. See? I try not to add to it, but I also admit its there and real. If you know me, you know this-- 'cause I am not a stereotypical anything-- however, if you just saw me, you could pigeonhole me into a very wrong category. I've always strived to be like my grandmother who could work the farm all day long; come home, shower and dance all night long at the Country Club.

I don't find stereotypes particularly useful as a way to discuss people and behavior. You meet individuals and by stereotyping you tend to miss huge segments of their personalities. Women are like this... Men are like that....bah humbug.

But then again, its the individuals who display the characteristics that become stereotypes in society who are funny.

Junior Leaguers avoiding group sex because of all those pesky thank yous-- funny.

Random person avoiding group sex because of disease-- not so funny.

Non- Custodial Father spewing legal type language that makes no sense-- funny.

Non- Custodial Father dad who can't say the right things to the Court so looses some of his rights-- not so funny.


I guess what I'm trying to say is that on this site I strive to make the things I do day in and day out amusing, and if in so doing I rely occasionally on the pictures certain stereotypes bring to your mind, then so be it- but please don't think I am insensitive to the danger of stereotypes.

Thank you, we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.... With Deadbeat Moms-- the unexplored stereotype.

No comments: