Wednesday, June 29, 2005

First ever Philosophicalawyer poll....

This is a comment I made to the In flagrante dilecto story:

Yeah, it is kind of a passive aggressive way of telling him how I feel about his behavior isn't it?
I guess its because I am not satisfied with the option I choose as the right one in this situation-- say nothing because its none of my damn business.

I just have no idea what to do in that situation...Should one track down the spouse? I don't think so-

What do you readers think: If you know a random person is cheating on their spouse do you 1. Call them on it but don't go the spouse? 2. Call them on it, and demand they tell the spouse or you will... 3.Find the spouse and tell him/her? Or 4. Ignore it.

Does your answer change if its your friend who is cheating or your friend who is being cheated on?I would totally tell my friend if it was my friend being cheated on, and I would tell my friend if s/he was cheating that I couldn't condone such behavior, but when its a random person, I stay out.

Vote now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your stance. I would stay out of it (and try to forget) if it was a random person. If I knew the person cheating, or being cheated on, I would have to voice my opinion. My opinion is based on my desire for someone I knew and respected to clue me into my spouse being unfaithful to me. I believe I would be more devistated if I knew that I had been a fool for believing the fairytale and living in a lie.

Anonymous said...

I too would stay out of it if it was someone I didn't really know. You don't know what kind of relationship they have with their spouse.

You probably feel like you tacitly endorsed his behavior by not ratting him out, but you really didn't, IMO. You didn't give him a wink and make a reference to it like it was a joke. You didn't make any coy references later to a late-night rendezvous.

If it were a friend or a friend's spouse who were cheating, I would probably have to say something. While knowing about that attorney's affair would have made me want to say something to his wife, sometimes people don't WANT to know what is really going on and don't appreciate your telling them.

Anonymous said...

P.S.-I forgot to say that it would have been uncomfortable anyway since you worked around him. (same building)

And sometimes it's part of the "fun" for cheaters to be caught. You denied him that by not acknowledging that you knew about his infidelity.

-Southern Magnolia

Anonymous said...

I would stay so out of it that it'd be like I was in the next county. Maybe even country.