Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Court and time

All too often I hear people in Court complaining....how long is this going to take? I have things to do! and it bugs me because up to the day we're in Court all I hear from them is what's taking so long? why don't we have a Court date yet?

Look, here in Alabama you are lucky. We don't have a backlog. If you ask for a Court date for a domestic issue you're going to be in in under 3 months for District and under 5 months for Circuit. Across the U.S. this is STELLAR. Sure your Felony criminal case may take 9 months to come up, but that's for evidence processing and motions and responses. Civil litigation takes the longest, but if you haven't tried the case within 2 years, the Judge is probably going to get anxious and want to get it off the trial docket.

Today I have an afternoon CS docket with 36 cases. Three lawyers, 1 judge and we'll be in Court until its done. lets see: 1:30-4:30-- that is 5 minutes with the Judge (assuming no docket call and no emergencies for which he has to step off the bench.) truly, I know you want this to be brief and painless, but if he cuts it any shorter, you're gonna be complaining that you hardly spoke to the Judge. Actually, what really happens is that the Judge gets called away on emergencies, then he gets interested in a case so it takes 20 minutes and we end up being in Court until 8. Most Judges wouldn't stay late like that, but not our Judges. Actually, I like it because I know it will all be done and I don't have to worry about coming back tomorrow!

Personally, I only have 5 of the cases, and three are with one man who made 5 kids with three different women- so that won't take much time. He drives me crazy because he thinks he's hot and he can flirt with me. Euuwwwwww.

I guess this is why I haven't written much about Court lately-- its been a lot of Same shit, different day. Maybe I'll have something fun happen today .....

For the other lawyers out threre: I got the best compliment yesterday from a man whose divorce I handled for the wife. He said, "Thank you. You have restored my faith in Lawyers."

Wow. You live for moments like that.

No comments: