Tuesday, June 14, 2005

How to be in Three Courts at the Same Time: The Advanced Guide

You will recall (No, you won't but go back and check it out....) from March 2, 2005 I did a blog entitled, "How to be in Three Courts at the Same Time: a Primer."

Now that you have, I am sure, mastered the primer, I think you are ready for the advanced lesson.

The primary requirement for being in three Courtrooms for both morning and afternoon sessions (a total of 12 cases in 6 sessions of Court) at the same time is a time machine. Just send $750,000 in certified U.S. funds and I'll send you the plans that I used to build mine.


No, No, its actually Good Will- from the Judges and the Bar. Backed up by a healthy amount of Having your Shit Together and a large pinch of Pure Luck. Finally, you have to have fuel. Eating keeps your blood sugar perfect and your mind sharp- otherwise about 3 O'clock when a case that should have settled goes to trial you aren't going to be as sharp as your client deserves.

The cases are out and notes are made so MadDog can cover the docket call in District Court, the files are ready and reviewed for City Court and I called the Trustee and made sure there are no SNAFUs on the horizon for Federal Court. The Judges and Trustee will all work with me because they know I will do my best. None of the other lawyers will complain, because I help them, so, unlike five years ago, when this would have had me on the floor crying, I am ready to do battle and not the least worried about it.

Now, I'm just irritated because when I get this efficient, I actually make less money-- because I can't double bill my time. If these cases were set on different days, they would take longer total hours to try, but out of necessity, I'm going to get it done in less time, so even though it will be harder on me mentally -- I will make less money.

I find it most amusing that I will be both Prosecuting and Defending people in different Courts at the same time. I will also be doing Federal Bankruptcy cases (Hurry up and file before you can't...) Most lawyers don't have the opportunity to do such a wide variety of types of cases-- and I LOVE it. I never get bored.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...so even though it will be harder on me mentally -- I will make less money." - That's kind of like wher I work....."The work is hard, but at least the pay sucks." (: