Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Requiem for Hunter S. Thompson

Ok, I saw a snatch of something about him being dead (he wouldn't have wanted any silly euphemism) and finally had time to track down the info.

My list of people I would like to have a beer (or bottle of tequila...) with is one person shorter.

I think he's great. He's the kind of person I'd have liked to take down to Pirate's Cove for a beer- and I'll bet he would have liked it too.

What can I say? He was an institution. He was Southern. He was Great. He did things and said things other people couldn't have said or done. Everyone should have one person like this in their lives. I have several. They live in exotic locals and I visit them occasionally and feel so much the richer for having been in their vicinity- even though I am usually broke and hung over when its time to go home.

Go forth, and cultivate the Hunter S. Thompson in your life- don't be mad at him for being broke, buy him a bottle of Pinch and let him find you an adventure.

No comments: