Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Reading Material

I've rediscovered the joys of the library so I'm on a real reading kick right now. I thought I'd share the books I've read in the last week or so:

First: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I can't believe I didn't read this as a child. It was first published in 1912 and is so interesting for the world perspective colored by that fact alone-he has flying ships that you have to enter through rope ladders. Its a great read, well written and truly engaging.

Second: Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley. A while back my mom gave me This is No Way to Treat A First Lady also by Buckley which I also enjoyed, so I thought I'd try another by this author. Its good fun, not heavy literature. This is a suspense novel involving the three main lobyists for the Tobacco, Alcohol and Firearms industries who call them selves the Merchants of Death or MOD squad. Great quips, like my favorite where the protagonist is agonizing over his efforts on behalf of the tobacco industry and at the same time knowing he couldn't afford tuition for his child in private school if he did something else and he decides its the Yuppie Nuremburg Defense- "I was only doing it to pay the bills."

Third: Second Wives by Cindy Blake. What can I say? Its trash lit, but I read every word. I suppose its always better to read than watch TV.... It would be a definite summer beach read. There is great suspense, some good introspection, and the characters are well rounded and developed.


No comments: