Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Boyfriends and girlfriends

Today was 38 and raining when I awoke. It is often difficult for me to get up and get at it under such conditions, especially when I have early criminal court.

My client today. What can I say? He was charged with, um, how do I phrase this? He and his girlfriend stole his boyfriend's car and stole the rent money from the console while they were at it. Then, just for good measure, he beat up his girlfriend. This sounds like an episode of some crazy TV show, right here in River City. Due to no one wanting to press charges, I had the cases set up to be dismissed upon his completion of Domestic Violence classes. He failed to attend. I talked to him three weeks ago and told him that if he enrolled promptly and could show his attendance at the hearing today, I could still have it dismissed.

Instead he just doesn't show-- Bingo! FTA warrant. I have no phone number, so I can't call him. I know it was a cold and yucky morn- but shoot I held them off until 10:30 when he should have been there at 8:30. What else can I do?

I have to remind myself of what the great Mad Dog always says: If people did what they were supposed to do you and I would have to get real jobs- and they would probably involve manual labor.

So, I'll get a call in a few weeks and then we'll have to go deal with it.

This afternoon I get to deal with the question: Is it ever appropriate to hit your wife of 24 years upside the head with a wrench? The officer swore out the warrant (not the victim) - the pictures are graphic- and my client hasn't responded to my letters. I anticipate a continuance.


No comments: