Friday, August 19, 2005

What you first grader should know...

I wasn't going to post today, but I found an article on MSN about skills your first grader should have...(Yes, I was wasting time...) and it kind of struck me... Wow! FIRST GRADE? I know fully functioning adults who couldn't properly complete this list... "Participate in group decision making?" Hmmm. We all know people who can't do this!
And "Understand traditions that reflect American ideals and influences from diverse cultures within the nation." Please read 1984 and remember that Newspeak is BAD people. Is this where we studied where Christmas traditions came from?

Social Studies
Locate the United States, the seven continents, and the four oceans on a large map or globe
Construct and interpret simple maps with cardinal directions and map key
Demonstrate awareness of current news
Participate in group decision making
Understand traditions that reflect American ideals and influences from diverse cultures within the nation
Create charts and timelines demonstrating an understanding of past and present
Recognize shared values and goals as students in the same community, despite differences in backgrounds

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the author was a teacher coming from a mentality of "aim high" and thinking that reality would come in somewhere lower but still at an acceptable level? ?? I hope that was it.

I used to work with a woman who was unhappy with her son's daycare because he was 4 and they had not taught him his colors or letters yet. She truly didn't think that it was her responsibility or his father's.

I wanted to ask her what she did believe was her responsibility to teach her son, but I was afraid of the answer.

Southern Magnolia