Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Some days are like that...

It has been one of those days when I feel slow and stupid...also one of those days I have three places to be at once and so I feel like I end up doing nothing well. One of those days you feel like you are somehow operating through a filter. The air is thicker, the neurons have to push through something to reach their destination. On days like these you have to rely on your organization and competence from earlier days to get you through- because if you start thinking too much, you are going to screw it up. I am going to go for a walk which will hopefully get my mind moving and back into the swing of things.

Luckily, I just have some mindless crap to do after Federal Court... I've already hit two courts this am-- just one final one to go and I am ready, cases pulled, client briefed-- and its just a little hearing with any luck there will be no problems... Although by merely writing that I'm sure I've jinxed myself into making it a full blown problem. : )

I am so ready to go lie on the beach and think of nothing important. Oh, wait, Katrina screwed that up. Damn you Katrina! and Alabama got the least of it this time. I find this amusing: This weekend at the Coast I was supposed to repair the screens my dogs had ruined...I told MadDog that at least I hadn't gone down there fixed them and then had them ripped out the following weekend- that would have really pissed me off.

What really bothers me about the destruction is that instead of wonderful laid back shacks being built back what always seems to happen after hurricanes is that the giant Corporate hotels and condos flood in in larger and larger numbers. I wish all those damn developers would just go AWAY!

When I was a child going to the coast meant nasty sulfur water, outdoor showers and all the kids in the main room. Our days were filled with mosquitoes, bottle rocket wars in the sand dunes, Junk cereal, seaweed, jellyfish and snorkeling at the water's edge until you turned all pruny when an adult would finally wake up and come down to the ocean with you. Evenings were filled with solorcaine in front of the box fan, stealing your parent's beer, and driving an hour to the store because we ate all the white bread.

Now a days it means clean chlorine pools at the condo, central air, taking the elevator down to the lower level, perfect water for showering, each child with a bedroom, cable TV, shopping, gourmet foods and amusement parks.

It means places to stay where you don't need pliers to turn on the water. Where you don't get splinters if you drag your feet on the deck. Where raised wooden walkways keep your feet from sandspurs.

Remember how it used to be? I do, and I miss it.

No comments: