Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Law School Advice...

Anon. Asked if I have law school advice, and why, yes, yes I do since you asked. : )

First, Law School sucks. Ok? No matter how well you did in college, so did everyone else there. Add to that insecurity, a harsh grading on a curve system, and the stress of this being CRITICAL to your future and well, it can really suck. But, as I was told when bitching about this-- you have to get over it and just deal. Law School is about survival. As long as you pass the bar, you WILL do fine.

So, number one: Remember that everyone you meet in law school is going to be practicing with you. Be nice to them even when they aren't. This will come back to you and serve you well. Just remind yourself that one day these people are going to "get it" and then know that you got it long before they did. They will then be impressed. I have had people apologize to me for how they behaved in law school.

Second: Unless you are in the top ten percent and really want to clerk at a big firm, I suggest you apply to clerk for a District or Circuit judge after your first year. It will probably be unpaid, but you will learn more about how the law really works doing that than any thing else. It will also help you meet attorneys if you are not in the top ten percent and thus get a job.

Third: Treat law school like a job--8 to 5 and then stop. You should be able to get your studying done and stay on top of things. Brief your cases religiously for the first semester. Remember, it all boils down to one test at the end of the semester. Buy those casenotes books. Read. Go out, exercise and have fun- just don't skip class.

Fourth: Find someone who is a third year and get their notes for first and second year. People can be really weird about sharing notes but it really helps to have someone else's notes from a class to know where the teacher is going. I had the notes from the editor of the Law Review. Extremely helpful.

Fifth: Remember that any awful thing you do will be hashed and rehashed by the gossip mongers. One girl in my class is now known as the girl who stuck her finger in a guy's butt. Another guy is the cokehead. Do your best not to be either of these people. Fly under the radar.

Sixth: Don't be a gunner. (A gunner is someone who is trying really hard.) Don't sit in the front row, don't sit in the back.

Ok, so that's my basic advice. If I think of anything else, I'll add it. Good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, anon, for asking the right question so that St.Yves would post this.

So you're saying that we aren't one day going to look back at these years and say, "Those were the best years of my life?"

Thank goodness, because I would have to be crazy to say that. This is my second year, and....it sucks.

There is a question I would really like to ask but I'll have to think of a way to ask it while retaining anonymity.

Some days suck. Others merely bite. ;)

Southern Magnolia