Monday, March 20, 2006

New books, good food....

(Spell check isn't working , so please excuse....)


Ok, right now I'm reading Wittgenstein's Poker by Edmonds and Edinow. This is the story of Karl Popper meeting Ludwig Wittgenstein- for ten minutes before it fell appart, because, according to Popper, Wittgenstein threatened him with a fireplace poker.

I mean, to me, one need say nothing more. I am so interested even before you give me further reason to read it --- since I wrote my thesis on Wittgenstein and language-- I am all over this book.
But why should you read it? Ok, first of all, the authors do a really good job of defining the central philosophical tenants held by these two men, who were after all, two of the most important philosophers of the 20th century. They grew up mere miles from each other and both faced serious issues with the holocaust due to their Jewish heritage. Each person embodied a twist in Philosophy- the Postmodern bent of Wittgenstein who believed that there are merely philosophical puzzels to be solved through logic and language construction and the Modern road of Popper who believed that there are Philosophical Problems and that through applying ourselves we can solve them and arrive at The Truth.

But, this knowlege isn't the fun part of the book. The fun part of the book is that some of the most intelligent (Bertrand Russell, for example), and articulate students and faculty of Oxford and Cambridge are there- and not one of them can agree on what exactly happened-- Which I absolutely love.

I mean, here are learned scholars who cannot agree on even a simple fact like- Did Wittgenstein even pick up the poker which which he supposedly threatened Popper? And yet, I know I have gone to these men seeking insight into the world of philosophy, and comprehension of the Greater Questions. It just kind of puts life into perspective to me.

Its a lot of fun, really well written and easy to read.

Now, something to feed your brain after feeding your mind.

Cucumber-Tomato Salad: Dice a cucumber and two small or one big tomatos. Add fresh cilantro, rosemary, cracked pepper, a little salt and a handful of chopped parsley. Marinate in Balsamlsic Vinegar (an ounces or two.) with maybe a tablespoon of Olive Oil.

Outstanding when ingredients are fresh, but my fresh herbs will work great even with store bought tomatoes. I often serve this on a bed of fresh lettuce with some sliced chicken-- or on a wrap with chicken. Its easy and simple and says Spring to me.

This weekend the new additions to the Spring Herb garden went in (more lettuce, parsley- flat and curly, cilantro, sage, savory, thyme, two oreganos, and dill.) I also got new rosemary, checked on the texas tarragon, multiple mints, lavendar, asparagus, horseraddish and chives. Next week I'll do planting 3 of the lettuce and the week after, add the tomatoes, cucumbers and carrotts. I got my plants from my favorite garden place which specializes in antique varieties- I got yellow pear tomatoes, Mr. Stripey and another orange cherry tomato.

I love my tiny garden. I have only a space about 8 ' by 20' of full sun at my house- so I do intensive raised beds and small plantings-- I have 24 lettuce plants currently and room for twelve more. I have focused on a salad and cooking garden. I think my key is double turning the soil and the amazing mulch/compost I make and add each year (Leaves and kitchen scraps).


Happy Vernal Equinox to All, and I hope you're enjoying Spring.

No comments: