Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Clients

Ok, another post inspired by Blonde Justice http://www.blondejustice.blogspot.com/ - she has one where she's tried to craft the right speech to give to her clients to keep them on the right track between arraignment and trial.

I know where she's coming from- and if she does come up with one that works- I am going to beg her for it so I can use it too.

I send out interrogatories (Questions) with every child support case I file. At the top of the interrogatories in 20 point, all caps, bold letters is typed:

PLEASE READ AND ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS!

I was giving my quarterly seminar on navigating child support to the community program for fathers and one of the coordinators asked me what percentage of cases the fathers actually filled out the questions and sent them to me.

I told him- I have had 15 responses in 4 years. Approximately 500 cases and 15 responses.

He just about fell out of his chair. "I figured you'd tell me 20-30%," he said, "but that's awful."

Yeah, I said, "I am constantly amazed at the number of people who are served Court papers and DO NOT EVEN READ THEM."

No kidding- don't even read them. And they'll tell you they didn't read them. Oddly, of the 15- 4 were from people who couldn't read and had other people do it for them- I guess when you can't read you're always worried you're missing something.

No comments: