Monday, May 02, 2005

Tit for tat...

Tit for tat story one:

My Great-Grandfather, a man about town and Washington Politician/Dam builder, was once at a party back in the '30s or '40s. A woman was angry at something he had done and came up to him and said, "Well R______ M_______ I'll give you tit for tat." To which he promptly replied "Tat."

Second Tit-for-tat story:
I received my Alabama Lawyer in the mail this morning. I did what every lawyer I know does: I flipped to the back and began reading the "Lawyer suspensions and disbarments" section. There are a few things I have learned from this practice including the number one rule: Always respond in a timely fashion to a letter from the State Bar. Today I found a particularly good case, which couldn't have been saved by timely responding, but rather by cardinal life rule 1-- ALWAYS LEAVE THEM SMILING (especially when they know about skeletons in your closet):

(Attorney X) has been suspended for a period of 15 months beginning January 7, 2005 for violating rules 8.4 (d) (engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice) and 8.4 (g) (engage in any other conduct that adversely reflects on his fitness to practice law.) of the Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct. X represented a female client in an assault case. The agreed upon Fee was $2,300. X entered into an arrangement whereby he would credit the client $200.00 towards this fee if she would engage in sex with him and $400.00 towards the fee if she could find another person to engage in sex with him. THIS WAS CORROBORATED BY VIDEOTAPE. (This is my condensed version. )
VIDEOTAPE? duh. You're a lawyer dude. Duh. Just freakin' duh. (BTW, the spell check suggested foreskin instead of freakin'...hehehehe)

Secondly, how do you start this conversation? I guess if she was a stripper, you know, it wouldn't be that hard, but... "ahh, You don't have enough for my fee? I have some ideas...."

And how did the Bar find out unless he pissed someone off or bragged?

Ok, I'm off to Court....