Thursday, March 17, 2005

Working for yourself...

Not everyone is cut out to work for himself or herself. When I graduated from College I took a year off. I worked for a temp service, Old Navy and a printing company- among other jobs. Then, I took three months and lived in a van down by the river on the Columbia River Gorge in Washington and wind sailed.

I learned a lot and thought a lot and realized some basic truths:
1. People are crazy everywhere and at least here in Alabama I understand some of why they are crazy.
2. Just because someone owns and runs a successful business does not make them sensible.

I worked for a man who wrote these incredible algorithms to determine whom should receive the Junk mail from which company. I was hired as his Administrative assistant, because he had a lot of trouble getting people to work for him. His company was a pretty big deal-- they did the mailings for one of Michael Eisner's pet projects (and I got screamed at by his secretary!) and stuff like that. The man did not have a filing system. I, a 22 year old with a degree in Philosophy, and luckily a very organized individual-- set up a filing system, and set up important internal things like that.

I also worked for a publishing company where the coke head son punched a hold in the wall and then tried to steal my personal calendar to cover it up.

I realized that I wanted to work for myself.

I may have a bitch for a boss, but I really respect her. To work for yourself you must have internal discipline. You must be able to set deadlines and goals for yourself and meet them without any outside pushing. This is why even though my Doctor doesn't want me to work right now, I am at work. This is why during the pain of the last two weeks I have made it to the office to at least look at my email and messages every other day. This is why I was in Court yesterday morning and this afternoon.

This is why I have to go now and do that which pays the bills and makes me happy.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: