Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What I'm reading...

Me Talk Pretty One day- David Sidaris -- funny, made me laugh outloud several times. Last essay didn't do it for me, but I enjoyed the others.

Pop-up Book of Phobias- Don't have it in front of me, so I couldn't tell you who wrote it but it was so much fun at Christmas. This is an Excellent coffee table book, or you can also use it to chase your more sensitive friends around with : ) It will make you squirm if you have any of the illustrated phobias....And I'm not just saying that because the person who gave it to me reads the Blog.

Why I Write by George Orwell: Great Penguin pocket edition. "Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." With a cover quote like this- how can you go wrong?

Wild Stories: Various. Haven't actually finished this one, but I love a lot of the writers.

The Life of Chariman Mao. Li. This was a score. It was written by his personal physician after coming to the US. My copy was signed and was still half price. (Gotta love the Booklegger.) This is easy to read, if a bit jumbled, and gives a good insight into the history that shaped the current incarnation of China. He does a great job of explaining the cultural issues, translation issues, and the personal life of one of the most successful/ brutal/bizarre/ politically astute reformers/ megalomaniacs in the world.

Jefferson After the Presidency. - 6th and final volume in the series. Won the Pulitzer prize in 1987. Great stuff if you, like 1/2 of the US, are descended from Jefferson. I Loved reading about my alcoholic fist fighting ancestors.

I also bought Rubyat of Omar Kayhan In a lovely 1937 edition because I didn't have it, and damnit, there are just some books one should own. Amusingly enough upon looking through the book I found a grocery list: Milk, cheese, bread, eggs, beer, cigarettes, cat food. Yep- that's all I need in life: A loaf of bread, a jug of milk, cheese, eggs, beer, smokes, cat food-- and thou.

And finally, as a gift, Bruce Chatwin's What am I doing here? If you haven't read this you must. A great travel/ short story/ autobiographical collection. Its a pity he's dead now because I love so much of his writing. Chatwin is one of those people you would call a renaissance man- although I'm afraid he knew rather more about certain things- which combined with a compelling personality leads to amazing experiences. He was at Sotherby's until being struck with hysterical blindness... I mean, who could make this stuff up?

Have a great day and happy reading.

No comments: