Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Public Service Announcement...

Ok, so today I had absolutely nothing scheduled and at 4 PM its the first time I can actually sit down and catch my breath. That's how it goes.

But yesterday I went shopping and I decided that when I'm rich and I can quit being a lawyer instead of becoming a writer I will become a designer.

I will design panties that will stay in place. and look cute.

I will design women's work clothes that all fit exactly true to size. You will be able to go into a store and say, "I wear a size 10 in that brand" and pick up the pants and not even have to try them on.

Oh and I came up with the idea about adjustable length pants a WHILE ago. (I saw them for sale somewhere and I'm glad someone is marketing them.) My pants will come in lots of adjustable lengths.

I will design woman's clothes that do not come with bizarre unusable accessories. The suit I bought yesterday? I got home and realized that those pockets on the jacket are actually not pockets and all they do is hold up the belt- which is just plain stupid. I also hate those flower thingies they are putting on blouses and jackets right now that you can't cut out because they're all stiched in too much and it would make a hole.

I will design women's clothes with pockets and especially inside jacket pockets because that's the best place to store items without ruining the line of your clothes.

I will design from fabrics that repel dirt and hair and that can be washed in a washing machine and hung up to dry. (Oh- and that one isn't a dream- I have that suit- even though the jacket doesn't have pockets and the pants were only a million miles too long and rather wide- its made by Yansee Fugel. Seriously- wash and hang up. No Ironing.)

I will not sell my clothes in a "size run" so that when you see the suit all that's left is a size 4 jacket and size 12 pants.

And there will be lots of pieces- pants with pleats and flat fronts and long skirt and short skirt....And several jackets (Long, short with waist, short and boxy) so that each figure will be able to get a look that flatters them. -- Do you remember when Banana Republic used to do this with their silk suits? I miss those days.

I will design for the 90% of people in the US who do not live in New York or LA. Because a formal shorts suit just isn't going to cut it in Alabama. Nor are Huge bell bottoms bigger than your shoes (Thank you banana Republic). Nor is a waist so low that when you bend over we know your underwear preference. (BR and Ann Taylor) Nor pants cut so tight you have a camel toe. Nor satin. Nor see through blouses.

My clothes will come in nice quiet colors- and cool subtle paterns like men's suits.

This has been a public service announcment.

No comments: