Monday, May 15, 2006

Human Nature

First, Sorry-- I've been busy. Sometimes it just ends up that way.

Second, a bird has chosen my mailbox in which to build her home.

She worked very hard to make it a nice nest with soft moss and bits of fluffy stuff. I believe it is a Mocking Bird.

I thought she had abandoned it after several weeks of mail being placed in it occasionally. But no, she didn't. One morning I pulled the mail out and glanced down and there was an egg!

So, naturally I put a note on the box asking the mail person to place the mail under the box, and he has.

Here's the thing-- everyone who comes in now reads the note- which makes them want to see the egg--- so they stick their head over the edge of the box to peer in. 'cause we gotta see the bird nesting and her egg, don't we? We are human, I suppose.

Ok, lets think this through people- What is going to happen when your big old human eye comes over the horizon into her safe little nesting area? Hmmm?

Yep- that bird is going to fly straight at you. And scream at you. And then dance on your head and scream some more. And then fly to the tree and scream at you some more.

MadDog was laughing at himself this morning- he said, "I really want to see how its going, but I know she'll fly out and scream at me so I have to force myself not to look."

I did get a picture of the nest, and I'll try to post it. See, I have been thinking of you my wonderful readers, I just have been working working working. Good stuff thought, and I have some posts rolling around up in my brain- I just want to let them marinate for a while before I offer them.

2 comments:

Anshu Anand said...

rEAL nice post ....gud luck to the eggs ...keep them safe (as you are already ) ..!

Heather said...

My parents had a bird make its nest on the wreath on their front dooor. It was definitely cool because it has a glass front and we could watch them from inside. For about 8 weeks we had to go in and out of the house through the garage but it was totally worth it.