Friday, April 21, 2006

Lesson to young lawyers

Ok, so if you're a regular reader, you know how I feel about shunning. I think shunning should be used more.

So, there's this young lawyer who kind of annoys people. She constantly looks like she's unhappy. Or has a pole up her butt or something.

But that's no reason to shun her- the reason to shun her is that ummm, she sucks as a lawyer. Look, when you graduate from law school and pass the bar you are a legal idiot. You are dangerous to your profession. If you realize this, and ask people for suggestions, watch carefully and keep your mouth shut you will eventually learn what they didn't teach you in school. She did not do this. She constantly tries to address things without opposing council there- one time I saw her in front of the Judge and figured she must have something in addition to what she had with me- but no, when the Judge called me over I realized that she had just marched up there without even speaking to me. Her bad- if she had spoken with me I could have told her her issue belonged in probate court, that judge had no jurisdiction and that she couldn't move forward with it anyway since she hadn't served anyone with her stupid motion. I only knew about it because I happened to have a prior pleading set for hearing in the case and saw her name listed as the Defendant's attorney. (Which she hadn't answered by the way. And she didn't answer my interrogatories. Oh, and when she pulled that crap- the judge told her to go sit down and to let me know when she and her client had answered the interrogatories and then to try to work it out with me and when I said so we could come back up. )

And then there's the fact that she doesn't listen when other lawyers try to gently suggest to her how you do things. Yeah, you don't go ask the judge how he's going to rule on a particular matter. Okey- doke? Hey, a call to opposing council the day before can often resolve matters. Not every case should be fought to the death. You know, little practice pointers.

Well, I saw her today at the bar meeting and NO ONE spoke with her. My intern asked me what that girl's problem was and why no one would talk to her. Suddenly, I felt really bad for her. It must be soooo hard to walk into a Courtroom and know no one wants to speak to you. To stand there and know we all dislike you. That we sneer at your abilities.

So, lesson to young lawyers- walk softly and carry a big stick. Do your work, be over prepared and then be humble. Oh, and whenever anyone says, "The clear weight of the law is ____." they're lying. Ask for a cite.

2 comments:

jb said...

I hope you're right. I'm a newbie, and I feel stupid all the time, missing things that I tell myself should be obvious, feeling like a useless piece of crap for my firm, etc. And yet they say it's to be expected, I'm fine, where they want me, need to see constant improvement but other than that.....nothing.

Sorry, not trying to get mushy on this. Just appreciated your post. Found you by googling "stupid young lawyers"--if that gives you any idea...

St Yves said...

Jason, Just the fact that you FEEL your ignorance lets me know you will improve and will do just fine. Its hard though, no tests to know if you get an A or a B... and even loosing doesn't (always) mean you've done something wrong. Good luck!