Thursday, April 21, 2005

Justification of a business expense

I bought myself a new phone for my birthday a few weeks ago. Its very pretty-- a flip phone with one of those cameras. I like it because I can use it- my other one I was forever pushing the wrong button. I also felt bad because the old one still worked fine. Naturally, I did give it to HopePlace for battered women to use, but still, I didn't NEED it. Did you grow up with the saying: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without"? I did.

So, I was in Court Monday and my client and the baby daddy were arguing. She kept saying he was spending money on things like rims. He felt that attacking his rims was like attacking his Momma-- across the line.

In preparation for the bench trial I went out and snapped a photo of the rims in question, and my they were fancy. They spun around independently of the wheels and all that jazz. The car, on the other hand, was a 1985 Monte Carlo. Just because the man spent 2 grand on some rims doesn't mean his car is worth all that. I point this out to her but she is just fixated on those rims.

It did however make for some great testimony when he lied about the rims and I pulled the phone out of my pocket and showed it to the man and said, "so those aren't your sharp rims?" We didn't even have to get to the whole "how do you admit a picture on a phone into evidence" thing because he admitted he was lying. Hehehehe.

Today he sold the rims or did whatever he had to to come up with 1 grand.

I now feel fully justified in procuring the new phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is really, really funny. - B