Wednesday, December 14, 2005

What I did today....

Sometimes people have bizarre ideas of what it is to be a lawyer. I think a list of what I did today is a pretty good example of what my days are like:

8 am- arrive at work- go over things on secretary's desk and pull files I need to do something on at Courthouse. Grab appointed case file for December.
8:30- 12:30-Court- I had 3 cases. I filed three other motions, copied an order, and checked my box. I also completed billing of 15 appointed cases while waiting, caught up with an old friend from high school, and went to see an officer about a spectacularly dumb client who will have his own entry pretty soon. Noticed when I arrived in Court I actually had 4 cases. Asked clerk if there was any way to get a docket before Court. Nope. Struck good deal anyway. Reviewed files as I was waiting to insure I had done all possible billing as part of new * bill criminal appointments in month in which they are completed life goal.*
12:30-1:00- ignore three phone calls so I could have a moment to quiet my mind and eat. Surfed internet. Snapped at MadDog when he wanted to talk about work. Stiffled desire to throw phone out window.
1:00-listened to and returned 6 phone calls on voice mail. (two of which were from 10 pm last night.)
Returned 3 of 5 messages from secretary's notes. Made notes in files and returned files to file room when completed. Other two messages were doubles of Voice mail so Ignored them. Started new stack on cases I need to follow up on. Pulled case out of old follow up stack and made necessary phone call. They're still not answering my call. Returned to stack.
Happily noticed that 7 am Court for tomorrow was re-scheduled. Yay!
Faxed two people with information. (I made notes with each phone call/fax).
Printed one conversion for client. Chatted with client when he arrived.
Gave directions to one dude who showed up looking for a different lawyer whose office used to be here.
Answered 3 phone calls as they came in.
Put billing on secretary's desk so she can notarize and do the math.
Reviewed my file of questions from secretary, answered what could be done quickly, set aside others for tomorrow.
Read mail. Dealt with mail.
Called in refill on perscription.
It is now 4:35.
I need to:
1. Respond to interrogatories in a case.
2. Organize my desk, make a list, and prioritize open files.
... And then I can go home : ) Although, I could stay and work for the next 10 hours...


So you can see that if you are easily distracted, unable to multi-task, have trouble going back to things and/or are easily overwhelmed by large to do lists that being a sole practicioner is going to be hard for you...

No comments: