Thursday, December 22, 2005

Oops, that's not what I meant...

Have you ever mistakenly sent a signal to a group? For example, gone to a basketball game and worn the colors of the other team?

Yeah, me too.

So, I'm including this link so that we can all avoid the mistake of sending signals with our hankerchiefs. Apparently there is a rich and complex language in hankerchiefs.

I had no idea.

I think I would have to print out the list and keep it with me for refrence were I to use this method to communicate with people. Then, of course, you would have to sometimes ask people questions like, "Is that robin's egg blue or sky blue?" OH THE HI-LARITY!

http://www.gaycityusa.com/HANKYCODES.htm

Warning: These are graphic so you may not want to click if you don't like reading graphic things.....

My favorite: The Mosquito netting hankerchief.

1 comment:

Erik said...

This is a parody.

While hankies were used in a few major cities in the seventies as a code, there were really only about 5-8 colors used to signify certain scenes.

But there is no question that the idea is evocative enough to have inspired many of these elaborate treatises with minute variations.