Monday, October 03, 2005

Something that made me snarf my Diet Mt. Dew... And not in a good way.

So, I was studying up on Bush's nomination for the Supreme Court and in a perfectly normal article I stumble across this:

Added Troy Newman of Operation Rescue, an anti-abortion group: “The small pieces of information we do know are disappointing. For example, she's Southern Methodist, notoriously pro-abortion.”

Ok, so the conservatives, represented by Operation Rescue, (who gave money to Eric Rudolph BTW- so, you know, they may be anti-abortion, but they are definitely not "Pro-Life."), are worried that this woman belongs to those "notoriously pro-abortion" METHODISTS.

Since when did belonging to a mainstream church not cut the grade any more?

And since when did some skeevy fringe group like operation rescue have the political clout to get quoted on Microsoft?

I shudder to think what he would say about Presbyterians. : )

I'll bet a lot of Methodists are surprised to learn about their "Notorious" status. I'm going to go call my best friend who teaches Sunday School at her Methodist church and tell her she's notorious. But then, she probably knew that already.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All churches should be pro-abortion. If it's a Christian's goal to send folks to Heaven, what's better than a free ride? That's what these sinless, terminated babies get. Only a suicide bomber could ask for more. At the very least, their souls are recycled into a family that actually wants them. Murder? I call it salvation. -WS

Anonymous said...

Do you think there are editors anymore? Someone somewhere let that quote get by them without blinking.

Or were they just that desperate to fill space?

Any thoughts you care to share on the nominee?

-SM

St Yves said...

You know, I have done a little reading today, and watched the news readers last night and I think she sounds like a very smart woman who has carefully cultivated her connections and has impressed a lot of lawyers. I'll be really interested to hear some of her confirmation questioning. I found the most interesting fact to be that she was the person in charge of getting Roberts ready for his senate hearings. I have a feeling she will be very, very slick. I have a feeling no one will have any real idea how she will vote when we're done with this.

Anonymous said...

I am the best friend that teaches Sunday School and I must say that I am truly delighted as to the prospect of being "notorious." Wow. And just for going to church! I thought it would be more difficult!

You know seriously...all these rantings over the new justice appointees frighten me. No one seems to care whether or not they are capable of overseeing the nation's highest courts, but only if they are of a particular political ideology. Does this not give the proverbial shakes to all of you?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it does. If all that counts is the person's political leanings, then why bother with the black robes?

I would really rather not have a Supreme Court that leans one way or the other. "Moderation" is a good word, seeing as how we all have to live in the same country.

Wow, and you didn't have to show any body parts to become almost notorious, either! Janet Jackson, eat your heart out!

-SM

St Yves said...

It does bother me that ideology is at the forfront rather than ability, but, that is how it has always been. Remember, it was Ohhh, shoot, I can't remember which Preseident, but one of the Presidents decided to expand the Court from 5 members to 9 members, just to get the votes he wanted...so cronyism is nothing NEW...Actually at this point I find all the discussion kind of amusing because EVERYONE seems to be bashing her- right and left and all because they don't trust her to vote their way.

And of course, moderation is my beacon in life : )