Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Public Defense work and Hugs.

As I left the Courthouse this morning, my client and the "victim" were standing with my client's mother and the two mothers hugged followed by my client shaking the victim's hand and apologizing to her with a "I'm truly sorry it got to the point that your car was hurt and thank you for working with us." The Judge had just praised all of them for working it out with out the need for him to be involved.


My friend and fellow attorney said, "How the fcuk to you do that? You just make everyone calm and want to be reasonable. I have see more of your clients hugging than anyone Else's. "

I just assume people really truly deep down inside want to be reasonable and I show them how to do that. I pointed out to her that I do much much less well with irrational people than she does. Have an inmate who needs mental help? Call her. Have someone who needs to have a "come to Jesus" talk- that's me. (except yesterday I was too loud and too public with my come to Jesus talk- I need to remember to not chew them out in front of other people.) Have someone pretending to be insane... call me. Have someone who needs to be bullied into making the right decision... call her.

Know your strengths.

No comments: