Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Times I'm glad I'm not a Judge....

The other day I filed a motion for Bond on behalf of my client. It took the police 3 months to realize she was already on probation when she was arrested again- so when they did they arrested her for probation violation even though she had already been to Court and had a trial date set and all of that. In the interrum, she had given birth to a baby. I submitted a good motion, pointed out that she had returned to work a mere 5 weeks after giving birth, that her previous plea agreement contained restitution which she had been paying and so forth... Judge Denied me.

That night, her mom, who was looking after her other children too, rolled over on the baby who was sleeping in bed with her.

It was a tragic accident. Judge had no way of knowing it would happen. But still.... what if.... it just made me glad I wasn't a Judge.

Of course, he had to be thinking about the bad things she might do if he let her out...

No comments: