Wednesday, July 20, 2005

National Public TV gets (slightly) raunchy...

I'll take a small break in my Alaska Series to bring you something funny I saw on National Public TV just before I left. I made a note in one of my notebooks to write about it and saw the note on the counter yesterday....

The show is about wooden roller coasters. Wooden roller coasters are smaller and slower than their modern counterparts, what with the structural limitations of wood and all. After an extensive discussion about how much smaller the hills were than on modern rollercoasters, the commentator decides to inverview some people who have just ridden the wooden roller coaster.

He picks an average looking 50 something man and woman. They look like nice people. The interviewer asks them if its fun to ride the smaller, slower roller coaster even after one has ridden the big, fast, modern roller coaster. The wife speaks first and says, looking meaningfully at her husband, her arm linked through his, "I've always said size doesn't matter. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Its still a wonderful ride." The cameraman then pans to the husband who, I swear to you, is BLUSHING. As the cameraman meaningfully pans in on his face and he is struggling to say something, anything to make this about the roller coaster. He doesn't succeed; he just stammers and glares at her. I swear it was the most awkard 3 seconds I've seen on public TV since that show, "The History of Sex" when the 90 year old man said, "That's the problem with you young people today, you always think you invented sex. We fucked a lot less in my day, but I'll bet we made love a lot more often." That made me snarf my diet Mt. Dew.

No comments: