Thursday, December 07, 2006

Merry Christmas to all....

Last Saturday I trudged out the the local building supply store for our Christmas tree. I selected a precious Scotch Pine because it had cute little undeveloped pine cones all over it. I thought they were precious and looked like little ornaments. The tree was nice and tall, fluffy and not too trimmed up. No dye on my tree.

I brought the tree home and wonderful husband and I set it up and decorated it.

On Wednesday evening he plugged in the tree before I got home. When I came in he said he thought there was something wrong with the tree because he kept hearing this "pop pop" sound like a short.

We both stuck our heads in the tree looking for the source of the pops. I tightened all of the lights, and checked the plugs. All looked ok.

Pop.Pop. Pop.

I said there was only one thing to do- strip the tree and start over. The risk of an undiscovered short was too great. He agreed. Maybe new kitty had chewed through a wire.

Pop.

We sat there mulling over the possibilities, because that just seemed like sooooo much trouble.

Pop. pop. poppoppop.

I gazed at the precious little pine cones, nature's ornaments, on my precious tree....

pop. poppoppop.


And then I heard the Pop. Pop. Again.

And I knew what it was, so we cut off the bottom of the tree and now its fine. Do you know?

I love figuring stuff out.

Merry Christmas.

I'll be taking a sabbatical until the New Year, so until then.....

2 comments:

TSC Girl said...

That's mean! Tell us!

St Yves said...

It was the pine cones! As the lights warmed them up- because they weren't getting enough water (hense the cutting off the bottom of the tree so it could get more water...) they were maturing and "popping" into real pine cones!

Hehehe.