Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Bad dates with future lawyers....

First, I'd like to say that if you haven't read Blonde Justice yet, you really should... She's great : )
http://www.blondejustice.blogspot.com/


Some other bloggers (links appear on Blonde's blog) and she have started a couple of entries about bad dates. I found them really really amusing so, first, check out her Fetal Pig Date story:
http://blondejustice.blogspot.com/2006/02/worst-date-ever.html and her current bad date story.

Then, as part of my relaxation from a morning spent in Court (3 wins, 1 loss: which when I'm defending is freaking spectacular! I think that's my record.) I will tell you my single worst date ever story- which really isn't so bad all things considered. I guess I should say my single worst non-date story ever. Worse than the guy who ate a quarter of mushrooms and freaked out on our date. Worse than the guy who decided he liked the double date's girl better and we both looked over in the movie theatre and they were making out. Worse than my prom date who uttered the words: "I'm sorry you have a headache, come over here and let big daddy jim kiss your headache away." (Ewwww.)

I was in college, a sophomore I believe, and I had a second date with a guy friend's roommate. This guy was from Atlanta so I was excited to be going out with a Southerner as there weren't many of us at my college. We had a nice time on our first date and he called me the next day and asked me out again.

So the designated night comes for the date- a Wednesday I think. He had a late class from 5-7 so he would call me when he got out and we'd go have some drinks and pay some pool. Nice casual time. Now, the roommate had been in a horrible accident in Key West just before this and was in a wheel chair with two broken legs. (This does factor into the story.)

7:30 comes around and I'm ready and waiting in my room.

8:00 and I'm miffed, and waiting in my room. I have finished all my homework.

8:30 and I'm reading a novel and smoking out the window, irritated. But I'm not going to call him.

9:00 the phone rings. Its not my date. Its his roommate. His roommate says, (I just realized I can't for the life of me remember my date's name so we'll call him Danvers.) "Danvers is in the back of a cop car. He needs someone to go get him, would you please? I think you need to know where he was. Plus, I can't drive and there is no one else around."

Hmmm, I figure something weird is going on and roommate has my back- he doesn't want to tell me, but he thinks I need to know... So I say, "Ehh, I'm not exactly doing anything, I'll go get him."

So I drive to where he tells me they are. Sure enough, Danvers is sitting in the back of a police car. As I pull up to the police car I realize there is someone else in the back of the car with him- and he's kissing her. They don't notice my headlights on the car and don't even pause as I park and get out. I walk up to the officers standing at the front of the car and tell them I'm here to collect Danvers. The officer takes his stick and raps on the window, "Hey you two, his ride is here." The finally break apart. He has lipstick all over his face.

Danvers sticks his head out the window and slurs something at me about "hey, we had a date tonight." He is trish trashed drunk. Luckily, his other date was driving so they're letting him come home.

He gets in my car and we drive to his apartment. I am pretty peeved- not that I care if he goes out with someone else- but dude, you called ME up and asked ME OUT- At least cancel if you change your mind. I look at him and tell him if he didn't want to go out he could have just called. He says that the class went out for drinks and it just sort of happened. And !!!! And then- he starts trying to flirt with me. He wants to go out and drink some more and hang out. "Come'on" he's pushing, "lets go and have some drinks!" Its pretty easy to say no to a guy with another woman's lipstick on his face.

It was one of those unfortunate situations where the other person is drunk and you're sober and you just aren't going to be able to communicate- plus, I'm irritated because he blew me off. Naturally I'm ignoring his pleas and driving steadily to his home which is about 20 minutes farther on. He starts getting mad. He doesn't want to go home. He begins pitching quite a fit and I just keep ignoring him. I finally pull into the apartment complex and I see Roommate out on the walkway in his chair. "Thanks" I yell up to him, "I did need to know this." I smile at him. Danvers meanwhile, is trying to get out of the car and is still pissed about coming home so early- he wants to go drinking. "Bitch" he slurrs, "I can't believe you won't go fucking out for a drink." He then tries to get out with his seatbelt on and practically strangles himself. I break down laughing my ass off. Never went out with him again, but the roommate and I continued to be friends the rest of college- and we're both attorneys now. I have no idea what Danvers is up to.

1 comment:

St Yves said...

Yeah, but a begining like that could become a wonderfully hysterical moment if they did start dating. "Well, we didn't actually have our first date, since he got arrested, but our second first date was great..."