Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Conspiracy? Nah, Just good preplaning.

Ok, so if I've heard it once I've heard it a million times from clients..."They're out to get me!" Complaints about cops who seem to track them down over and over abound. I always point out that there might be an issue in that they continue to engage in the behavior that draws the attention of the cops...You know, if he pulled you over last week for a broken tail light, no seatbelt and weaving and he found out you have a suspended license, he's going to pull you over when he sees you out and about again. Without a seatbelt, or working tail lights driving through crack alley again. I mean, duh.

But then, there are the times that the government is a little more sneaky and a little more organized. This article also made me think about the legal implications of each page reproduced by a printer being marked with the date and time of its production as well as the identification of the printer. That could be handy in a case- and not just the counterfeiting they originally imagined. Of course, the privacy concerns still make my teeth itch... And I am reminded of an old saying of MadDog's: its not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Sidebar: I had a case once where I was able to demonstrate that a majority of a public utility's board members had been meeting with a private attorney outside the meeting time ( a violation of the Sunshine law among other things...) because they all produced wonderfully written motions...And the attorney inserted his tracking system on the lower left corner, a common practice. Thus, I knew each of them had been to the same attorney and their motions were stored in the same file.

Remember: Privacy rights don't attach to consumer purchases or in most consumer transactions. Only the government and certain other highly regulated industries owe you those.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/18/AR2005101801663.html

My favorite part of the article? An intern figured it all out. He he. That intern is all, "Yeah, I cracked the code." I am sooo going to get a job here."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Interesting blog!

You do have hit upon the formula to keep your head after the insanity you must be going through at the courtrooms every day!

Keep writing!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Was that spam?

St Yves said...

I think that was the polite Indian version of spam, because it did include his web address, but the comment was obviously made after actually reading an entry. So, spam like that bothers me far less than the INSERT RANDOM WEBSITE IN MIDDLE OF NON RELEVANT COMMENT type of spam : )